Housing Processes

Check-In and Move-In


McKendree University is located at 701 College Avenue in Lebanon, Illinois and is easily accessible by car, bus, or train.  Travel to the St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL) is only a 40 minute drive while the MidAmerica St. Louis Airport (BLV) is a short 10 minute drive.  Lebanon is just to the north of Interstate Road 64 and south of Interstate Roads 55 and 70 using Illinois State Route 4.  Please view our Campus Map for additional information.

Contacting Roommates

Due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), McKendree University will not provide personal information of any student, including roommates information, to anyone over the phone. As students are provided information about housing assignments, including roommate name(s) and McKendree email address, they are encouraged to check and use their own McKendree email address for communication.

Move-In Day Instructions

Students can check in to their dormitory or apartment only as of the first day of their Housing Contract.  Move-In Day can be a stressful time for both students & their parents/families.  To help you navigate the process, students are encouraged to look through the Office of Residence Life's Move-In Guide prior to coming to campus.  This document provides students with a wide variety of information, including move-in day instructions, local restaurant & shopping, and a list of what students should bring to comfortably live in their space.

For the Spring 2022 semester, all residents are permitted to begin moving into their spring placements on Friday, January 14, 2021.  New First-Year and Transfer students are permitted to begin moving into their fall housing assignment on Wednesday, August 17, 2022.  This is also the first day of New Student Orientation.  Continuing students are permitted to begin moving into their fall housing assignment starting on Friday, August 19, 2022.  Specific instructions for signing up for a check-in time are sent to students via their McKendree Email and will be posted on the main page of the Residence Life website.

Early Arrivals

Early arrivals into the halls or apartments need to be approved before arrival.  Some students will need to arrive on campus as part of an athletic team, academic requirement, on campus job, etc.  Dates and times for various groups can be found below:

  • Wednesday, August 3, 2022 - Residence Life Student Staff
  • Friday, August 5, 2022 - Football and Cheer Teams
  • Friday, August 12, 2022 - Men's and Women's Cross Country, Dance, Men's and Women's Soccer, Men's Water Polo, Women's Volleyball, Spirit Band, and Speech and Debate Teams
  • Monday, August 15, 2022 - New International Students (first-years and transfers only), Orientation Leaders, and Move-In Helper

Costs: Housing = $25.00 per day and Board $23.00 per day.  Most athletic teams will cover these costs.  For more early arrival housing and meal plan information, please click here.

If a student does not recieve approval, they will not be permitted to move into their assignment before the new or continuing student move-in dates provided. Early arrival requests cannot always be granted due to the administrative and housekeeping burden they cause.  If you do arrive to Lebanon before you can check in to your buliding or apartment, please contact a local hotel or bed & breakfast for overnight accommodationsStudents who are found in violation of this will receive a fine from the Office of Student Conduct at a cost of $75 per day.


Roommate Conflicts

Consolidations when there is a Vacancy

More information to come.

Help with Roommate Conflicts

Living with roommates isn't always easy. Sharing a living space may be stressful, and conflicts may arise. Sometimes situations that work at the beginning of the year become more difficult as the year goes on; remember that college is a time when students grow and change which can certainly impact even the healthiest of roommate relationships. It is perfectly normal to have roommate conflicts.

Many conflicts can be resolved easily with a mature and respectful conversation between roommates. Other conflicts may be more difficult to resolve and may require assistance through a formal mediation process. In extreme cases, conflicts may not be able to be resolved and result in a room change for one or both roommates. It is never our desire to force students to live in a room where the climate is wrought with tension and frustration or where conflict cannot be resolved. We do, however, expect students to make a sincere and collaborative effort to work through the conflict, communicate their concerns clearly, and develop strong conflict management or coping skills in the process. Our residential areas are also very full and at times we may not have the space available to move students into a new or different space.

The Office of Residence Life offers a number of resources to students facing roommate conflicts. Roommate conflicts are initially handled at the floor/community level by your Resident Assistant. Residence Life Professional staff guide RAs through each roommate conflict. Students seeking assistance should begin by talking with their RA.

Roommate conflicts are not addressed by the Director or Assistant Director of Residence Life unless the hall staff requires assistance in doing so. It is also important to note that the University expects students, not parents, to work through the conflict mediation process.

Below are some resources to help students and families with roommate conflicts:
Navigating Roommate Conflicts
How to Have a Mediation
Resources for Families

Room Changes

Sometimes roommate conflicts do result in a room change. Residence Life staff will work with students to find new room accommodations on campus (when spaces are available). Students are required to participate in the roommate mediation process before a room change is approved. This is to ensure that students have the opportunity to intentionally engage in learning conflict management skills and to ensure all roommates have the experience of attempting to compromise and work out a solution, which is an important part of community life.

The role of Residence Life staff is not to determine which roommate is at fault for the demise of the relationship. Rather our role is (1) to assist in the communication, which is aimed at resolving conflict, and (2) to make logistical arrangements for room changes when necessary. This means that we will work with students who come to us to move into a new room. We will not make their roommate move unless this is an agreed-upon solution reached during mediation.

To request a room change, use this link: Room Change Request


Moving Out

Checkout Process

Sign up for a check out time as soon as you are able.  Please contact the Office of Residence Life to schedule a time.  If at the end of the Fall Semester, please use our form, and someone from our office will let you know about any special paperwork that is required for your request to move-out.  If at the end of the Spring Semester, please watch for announcements about how to sign up for a checkout time.

Complete the Damage Responsibility Form if damages were caused. The Damage Responsibility Form gives every occupant the opportunity to accept responsibility for damages caused during the course of your stay and to be charged accordingly. Damages that are found that are not indicated on the Damage Responsibility Form will be assessed and charges will be divided among all occupants of the living unit.  We suggest that all occupants review their accommodations together; each person can fill out the form as much as they need to. 

Each resident must individually sign paperwork and return their keys.  Giving your key to another student to turn in for you will result in a $75 improper check out fee. There is a $200 key charge for non-returned/lost keys.

All items must be out of the room and building before you check out and return your key. Also, nothing should be in the hallways or lobbies.  Basically, after you turn in your key you should be ready to leave the building and campus.

Your housing assignment must be clean.  It is our expectation that students dust/clean all surfaces as well as vacuum/sweep all floors.  Please take all trash to the dumpsters.  Charge rates for additional housekeeping can be quite high; to see a list of possible charges, please check the Addendum of our Terms and Conditions.

Furniture needs to be in a configuration that is conducive to use for the next resident(s). Beds unbunked with the springboard set to the highest setting. One dresser placed underneath each bed if possible. Desk and chairs in a usable placement so that there is free access and movement for the user.  Speak with your current residence life staff if you have questions about this.

If checkout guidelines are not followed you may be assessed a $75 improper check-out fee (missing or not scheduling an appointment, not having your belongings out of the space, poor furniture arrangement, etc.).  If your schedule changes and you are unable to check out at the time you signed up for, please call our office at 618-537-6855 and ask to speak with your RD or AC.  We will do our best to be accommodating.

The condition of your assignment will be reviewed by a staff member after you turn in your key to the Residence Life Professional Staff Member after you leave.  They will utilize the information you provided in your Room Condition Report at Check-In to see if there are any damages or changes.  The Professional Staff Member will document and assess any potential charges and notify you via email about any costs associated with found damages.

A list of common fines or fees can be found here.

How to Withdraw

In case of complete withdrawal from the university, the student must:

  1. Log onto MyMcK and connect to Self-Service to withdraw from the next semester's class.  If the withdraw is happening during the middle of the semester, the student must complete the Add/Drop Form
  2. Complete the Academic Departure Form
  3. Finally, reach out to the Office of Residence Life to arrange your checkout from housing.

Once these steps are all complete and submitted, the university personnel will start closing the student's account.  If additional information is needed, a staff member will reach out to the student via their McKendree Email address.