Middle School Endorsement
McKendree University offers Middle School Endorsement classes for teachers with either
elementary or secondary education licenses. Those who wish to teach in departmentalized
grade 5 through grade 8 must complete additional coursework in the nature and needs
of early adolescents and middle school philosophy, and curriculum/instructional methods.
The Illinois State Board of Education gives the guidelines for Middle School Endorsement: http://www.isbe.net/licensure/middle_grade/msinfo.htm
IMPORTANT: The Illinois State Board of Education has changed the requirements for obtaining a middle school endorsement. The current requirements will only be valid until January 31, 2018. After February 1, 2018, the only way to receive a middle school endorsement will be to complete a new, state approved middle school program.
Obtaining a Middle School Endorsement prior to January 31, 2018 will require obtaining a C or higher in EDU 403/503 Middle School: Philosophy and Practice and EDU 404/504 Early Adolescents and Schooling. Students will also need to receive a C or higher in the required number of content course hours. If you receive your initial Professional Educators License AFTER January 31, 2018, you will need to adhere to the new Middle School requirements.
Middle School Philosophy and Practices
Early Adolescents and Schooling
The classes are offered online. For the schedule of classes, please select the term below.
Please contact the Office of Graduate Admission for questions regarding the classes.
Complete the online application and select Middle School Endorsement. All students taking endorsement coursework will be classified as non-degree seeking.
2016/2017 Academic Year (August-July)
The educator tuition rate is $385 per credit hour for certified teachers or those who have experience in teaching. Tuition for the Master of Arts in Education is $465 per credit hour. Online courses have an e-learning technology fee of $60 per credit hour.
Students have the option to get an alternative loan. Federal student loans are not available for non-degree seeking student.
McKendree University partners with Tuition Management Systems (TMS) to offer students an interest-free monthly payment option. For an enrollment fee, the billing cost is spread out over the time period that you are taking the courses. For more information please contact the Business Office at 537-6868 or go online at http://www.afford.com/.
1. Only the amount that will be paid by the employer can be deferred. The entire amount
will be subject to interest charges until the student’s portion is paid.
2. A letter from the employer stating that the employee is eligible for tuition reimbursement will be required each semester. Depending upon the employer’s tuition reimbursement requirements, a copy of the policy from the company may be sufficient. This letter should be submitted to the Business Office.
3. The employer should make McKendree the Payee (or at least the co-payee) on the check.
4. Deferment period will terminate 30 days after the date grades are issued.
5. The balance will be subject to interest charges if payment is not received within 30 days from the date grades are issued.
Office of Graduate Admission
701 College Road
Lebanon, IL 62254
800-BEARCAT ext. 6576