Special Education Endorsement
McKendree University offers Special Education Endorsement classes for teachers holding
a current professional educator license with primary endorsement in elementary, secondary,
or special areas who wish to teach in a special education classroom as a Learning
Behavior Specialist I. The endorsement is valid for the grades and areas in which
the teacher is already licensed.
In order to receive the endorsement in Special Education, the following must be met:
1. Current Professional Educator License
2. Passing score on Learning Behavior Specialist test (LBS1)
3. Completion of any deficiencies in tests or coursework
4. Completion of the following sequence of courses:
SPE 690 Characteristics of Students with Disabilities - 3 hours
SPE 592 Assessment and Progress Monitoring in Special Education - 3 hours
SPE 594 Methods of Teaching Students with Disabilities -3 hours
SPE 594A Field Experience III - 0 hours
Locations and Schedule
The Special Education Endorsement courses are offered on the Lebanon campus and in Benton, IL. One course is offered online.
Admission, Tuition and Financial Aid
Complete the online application and select Special Education Endorsement. All students taking endorsement coursework will be classified as non-degree seeking.
2016/2017 Academic Year (August-July) The educator tuition rate is $385 per credit hour for certified teachers or those who have experience in teaching. Tuition for the Master of Arts in Education is $465 per credit hour. Online courses have an e-learning technology fee of $60 per credit hour.
Allison Cassens Community Foundation Scholarship
The Allison Cassens Community Foundation Scholarship is awarded to students enrolled in the MAED in Special Education or the Special Education Endorsement. The scholarship honors the life and legacy of the late Allison Cassens, daughter of Linda and the late Allen Cassens of Edwardsville. Allison was a teacher, an internationally competitive swimmer, a pilot and a flight instructor who lost her battle with cancer in 2004 at the age of 33. Please complete the scholarship application or contact the Office of Graduate Admission for additional information.
Payment Plan or Loan Options
McKendree University partners with Tuition Management Systems (TMS) to offer students
an interest-free monthly payment option. For an enrollment fee, the billing cost is
spread out over the time period that you are taking the courses. For more information please contact the Business Office at 537-6868 or go online at http://www.afford.com/.
Students have the option to get an alternative loan. Federal student loans are not available for non-degree seeking students.
1. Only the amount that will be paid by the employer can be deferred. The entire amount
will be subject to interest charges until the student’s portion is paid.
2. A letter from the employer stating that the employee is eligible for tuition reimbursement will be required each semester. Depending upon the employer’s tuition reimbursement requirements, a copy of the policy from the company may be sufficient. This letter should be submitted to the Business Office.
3. The employer should make McKendree the Payee (or at least the co-payee) on the check.
4. Deferment period will terminate 30 days after the date grades are issued.
5. The balance will be subject to interest charges if payment is not received within 30 days from the date grades are issued.
Please contact the Office of Graduate Admission for questions regarding the classes.
Office of Graduate Admission
701 College Road
Lebanon, IL 62254
800-BEARCAT ext. 6576