The mission of McKendree University is to provide a high quality educational experience
to outstanding students. We guide our students in the pursuit of academic excellence
which will prepare them for leadership roles in our society. To achieve this end we
encourage broader vision, enriched purpose, engagement with community, commitment
to responsible citizenship, openness to new ideas and dedication to lifelong learning.
In keeping with our history and traditions, we provide our students with a rigorous,
broadly based liberal arts curricula joined with specialization in a specific discipline.
We cherish our historical relationship with the United Methodist Church and its tradition of Judeo-Christian ideals. Therefore, we encourage an atmosphere of open dialogue, free inquiry, and mutual respect, conducted among students from diverse backgrounds.
1. To offer undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs to develop our students’ knowledge, analytical abilities, research capabilities, creativity, and sense of identity.
2. To help our students develop an appreciation and understanding of human diversity by providing knowledge of and opportunity for experience with multiple ethnicities, cultures, and societies.
3. To create an intellectual and technological environment supportive of innovative and effective teaching, research, assessment and communication, excellent writing and oral skills, and decision making.
4. To attract and maintain an excellent faculty and staff committed to teaching, to research, and to service to McKendree and the greater community while also attracting and retaining an outstanding student body.
5. To create a culture of campus life that includes experiences beyond the classroom that allow for the development of the whole person.
Approved by McKendree Board of Trustees
November 4, 2006