Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree program is designed for individuals wishing
to seek initial teaching licensure through a graduate studies program. Below are the
areas that we offer the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program.
Elementary Education Program will allow you to earn an Illinois Professional Educators License for grades 1-6.
Middle School Education Program will allow you to earn an Illinois Professional Educators License in Middle Level Education grades 5-8. Available licensing content areas include: Mathematics, Social Science, Science and English Language Arts.
Secondary Education Program will allow you to earn an Illinois Professional Educators License for grades 9-12. Available licensing content areas include: English and Language Arts; Mathematics; Science (Biology Emphasis or Chemistry Emphasis); Social Science (History Emphasis, Political Science Emphasis, or Psychology Emphasis).
The K-12 Art Education Program will allow you to earn an Illinois Professional Educators License for grades K-12 in Art.
The K-12 Physical Education Program will allow you to earn an Illinois Professional Educators License for grades K-12 in Physical Education.
Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Curriculum Requirements
MAT Program Practicums
Students in all teacher licensure programs are required to complete field practicum hours throughout the program in local school districts. All field practicum and student teaching placements require students to be available during the school day to accommodate these placements.
Admission Requirements for Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Degree
McKendree welcomes applications from students holding a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution who seek a challenging educational experience in a stimulating and friendly environment. Applicants are considered on an individual basis without regard to sex, race, disability, nationality, or religion.
The following documentation and/or components are required for admission consideration:
1. A completed graduate admission application. See application deadlines below (no fee).
2. Official transcripts from each college or university attended. Official transcripts are those that are mailed from institution to institution.
3. A current vita or resume.
4. A minimum 3.0 G.P.A. on a four-point scale in undergraduate studies. Applicants with a G.P.A. below 3.0 may be conditionally admitted.
5. Three professional references (name and contact information).
6. Applicants for MAT and MAED Licensure programs must pass the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) or have a composite score of 22 or higher on the ACT with a score of at least 6 in Writing (if taken after 09/10/15) or have a score of 1110 or higher in critical reading and math on the SAT with a 26 or higher in writing and Language Arts.
7. Applicants may be required to participate in a personal interview to assess readiness for graduate studies.
In order to meet the licensure application deadline, all material must be received by the Office of Graduate Admission on or before the application deadline. Incomplete applications received after the deadline will be considered on a case by case basis by the Office of Graduate Admission and may not be reviewed, which will delay the start date until the next term. The timely submission of the admission material is the student’s responsibility. As a general rule, the earlier the materials are received, the better the chances for full consideration.
Fall (1st Eight Weeks) - Application Deadline: August 15
Fall (2nd Eight Weeks) - Application Deadline: October 1
Spring (1st Eight Weeks) - Application Deadline: December 15
Spring (2nd Eight Weeks) - Application Deadline: March 1
Summer - Application Deadline: May 15
MAT Program Format
The MAT degree program is offered on the Lebanon campus.The majority of the courses meet one night a week.
Meet the Graduate Education Admission Staff
Graduate Admission Counselor
1-800-BEARCAT ext. 6574
Get a great graduate education with location and format options to fit your busy lifestyle. Apply Online!