RSO Handbook

*Information in the RSO Handbook is scheduled for Fall 2021 update.


The Office of Student Affairs, Student Government Association (SGA) and Office of Campus Activities enhance the college experience and create a diverse campus community by supporting over 75 student organizations. We focus on helping student leaders achieve their goals by encouraging them to explore and develop their interests and passions through experiential learning outside the classroom. The offices provide information about student organizations to assist students in forming new organizations, and provide resources to student organizations.

This handbook serves as a resource for students trying to start a new Registered Student Organization and for those that have already been established. The RSO Handbook provides information on general policies, funding, event planning and commonly used forms.

It is our goal to provide a resource that will assist you in making your Registered Student Organization grow.



The Office of Student Affairs

The Office of Student Affairs is here to serve you through a variety of departments and programs all intended to help you succeed academically while promoting a positive self- image. Students are encouraged to fully participate in the life of the University. It is our purpose to help create an environment that enhances the quality of your educational experience. Student Affairs will assist you with your need to acquire residential living, sort out your career interests, provide an attractive campus social life, furnish good recreational facilities, direct you toward effective academic support services, offer supportive health and counseling personnel, and in many other ways work toward making your years at McKendree rich and fulfilling.

Below, you will find extensive information about the various departments, programs, and services that help frame student life at McKendree University. If you have further questions, please contact us by email or stop by our offices. Student Affairs will always be available to help with your needs and questions.


Full program of intercollegiate athletics

Current NAIA Member; Accepted as new NCAA Division II member

Member of the American Midwest Conference and the Mid-States Football Association


Band Department

Band, Wind Ensemble, Chamber Ensemble, Jazz Combo/Jazz Ensemble

Drum Line and Concert Percussion Ensemble, Color Guard and Winter Guard


Campus Activities

Craig Robertson, Director

Oversees the 75+ student organizations on campus

Advises the Campus Activities Board

Oversees New Student Orientation

Leadership development programming


Campus Ministry

Rev. Dr. Beverly L. Wilkes-Null , Chaplain and Director of Church Relations

Weekly Chapel services in Bothwell Chapel


Career Services

Jennifer Pickerell, Director

Focuses on the education of college students regarding internships, full and part-time employment opportunities. Programs include career fairs, etiquette and professional dinner, mock interviews, employment workshops. Alumni assistance is also available.


Counseling Services

Melissa McHenry, MA., MS., LCPC, Assistant Director

Comprehensive counseling to currently enrolled students free of charge.

The counseling services are confidential unless there is risk of harm to the student or community.


Fraternity & Sorority Life

Oversees the Greek organizations and Inter-Greek Council on campus

Facilitates collaborative relationships and communication between students, campus, the community and governing bodies.


Health Services

Beth Allan, Director

Assessment and treatment of common illnesses, injuries and medical problems

Free comprehensive counseling services for students


International Student Affairs

Advocacy, support and advising

SEVIS assistance and information, passport, visa, and employment permission information


Intramural Sports @ McK

Offers team, individual, and special event activities

Other tournaments include billiards, darts, softball, volleyball, basketball, and ping pong


Diversity, Inclusion, & International Services

Brent Reeves, Director

Administers activities and events focusing on celebrating diversity

Provides support to students of color and international students


Office of Student Affairs

Dr. Joni Bastian, Vice President for Student Affairs, Dean of Students


Residence Life

Programming staff consisting of Resident Directors, Resident Assistants and Community Coordinators

Assists in creating an active and vibrant campus

Initial Judicial Officer and manger of the Early Alert program


Student Services

Liaison for the Study Abroad Program

Approves promotional materials for student organizations


Student Success & Advising Center

Jennifer Miller, Assistant Dean for Student Success

Our Goal

The Office of Student Affairs, Student Government Association (SGA) and Office of Campus Activities enhance the college experience and create a diverse campus community by supporting over 75 student organizations. We focus on helping student leaders achieve their goals by encouraging them to explore and develop their interests and passions through experiential learning outside the classroom. The offices provide information about student organizations to assist students in forming new organizations, and provide resources to student organizations.


This handbook serves as a resource for students trying to start a new Registered Student Organization and for those that have already been established. The RSO Handbook provides information on general policies, funding, event planning and commonly used forms.


It is our goal to provide a resource that will assist you in making your Registered Student Organization grow.



How to Form a Registered Student Organization

All Registered Student Organizations must be registered with the Office of Student Affairs and the Office of Campus Activities to be recognized by the University, apply for funding from the Student Government Association, appear in University publications, and to reserve space in a campus facility. Each organization is required to submit a constitution (by-laws are optional, though strongly recommended) and keep it up to date.

Students interested in starting a new organization, or have questions about registering their organizations may ask for assistance from the Office of Student Affairs or the Office of Campus Activities.


Establishing a new student organization is an exciting process. The Office of Student Affairs encourages students to begin new groups on campus and acts as a resource to assist you in the process. New student organizations may be started at any time. The entire process can take a bit of time because of the steps involved. Approval for new organizations is required from the Office of Student Affairs. It pays to be prepared and to keep in contact with the Office of Campus Activities and the Office of Student Affairs regarding your organization's status.


Once your initial information has been submitted and it receives approval from the Office of Campus Activities and the Office of Student Affairs, your organization is granted certain privileges. Therefore, you can start actively recruiting new members, publicizing your organization, and reserving University facilities.


Here are some tips for creating a new registered student organization.

  • Talk to your friends and classmates about your idea for a new group. This is a great way to recruit new members and get feedback on your idea.
  • Meet with the Office of Campus Activities to discuss your idea and goals for the group.
  • Talk to your professors and staff members on campus. They can provide insight and one of them might want to serve as the on-campus advisor. If you have problems finding an advisor, the Office of Student Affairs can assist you with the process.
  • Promote your first meeting with flyers and a table in a visible location. These are excellent ways to raise awareness about your group and invite others to join. The McKendree Review can assist by writing an article about new organizations.


Steps to Create A New Registered Student Organization

Step One:
The first step to form a RSO at McKendree is to complete an "Intent to Organize" form. This form can be found in the New RSO Packet . It can be found on the RSO Resource Page. There must be at least seven (7) interested McKendree students in order to begin this process:

· This number would be representative of 4 Executive Officers (i.e. President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary) and a general membership of 3 persons.

· All members and officers of any registered student organization must be a full-time enrolled student at McKendree University during the fall and spring semesters.

· All members are expected to maintain satisfactory academic progress as designated by the University or as stated within the constitution and bylaws of the respective organization.

· If a member does not enroll for the fall or spring semester, that individual cannot participate in the registered student organization during that time.

· If an officer does not enroll in the fall or spring semester, the individual may not hold the office and a replacement must be selected.

· All changes in officers must be reported to the Office of Student Affairs, Clark Hall Room 107.

Completion of this form will grant pending status to groups awaiting formal recognition. This will give the organization the following privileges:

· The right to reserve university facilities for the purpose of holding initial organizational meetings.

· The right to publicize group meetings.

· The right to invite membership.

Step Two:

· Create a written constitution and bylaws for the organization. This must follow the current constitution template (download it).

o Each organization must have a constitution which includes a Name, Purpose, a nondiscrimination clause, and other elements shown in the template. The organization’s constitution at McKendree University may have similar content to a charter from a national organization, but must be prepared using the template existing at the time the organization seeks to be recognized.

· Obtain one or more McKendree Faculty or staff member(s) as your advisor(s).

o Each registered student organization must have an on-campus advisor. The McKendree University criteria for advisors are as follows:

§ Full-time faculty or staff status.

§ An office on the main campus

o The advisor shall have the following responsibilities:

§ Download a copy of the McKendree University Advisor’s Handbook as a reference. It can be obtained by going to: An additional reference, the ACPA Advisor’s Handbook may also be downloaded form the site.

§ Sign Event Registration Forms and Van Registration Forms.

§ Sign all check and funding request forms. These forms will require your signature AND the signature of the Vice President for Student Affairs or the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs.

§ Ensure that the organization abides by all University policies and be available to counsel and advise the student organization.

o Any changes in advisor information, including the addition or removal of an advisor, must be submitted to the Office of Student Affairs, Clark Hall 107.

· Complete the New Student Organization Checklist.

Step Three:

· Submit the constitution, bylaws, and the name(s) of the advisor(s) to either the Office of Student Affairs or the Office of Campus Activities.

· The Office of Student Affairs reviews the request and constitution for compliance with local, state, and federal laws and university policy.

· If the constitution is approved a printed and electronic copy of the constitution should be submitted to the Office of Student Affairs and the Office of Campus Activities.

Step Four:

· If changes are necessary, the Office of Student Affairs will request that revisions be made to the recognition request. If changes are not necessary and the request meets specifications, formal recognition shall be granted.

Step Five:

· Preliminary registration period: Once you have acquired all necessary signatures, completed all of your paperwork, and received preliminary approval from the Office of Student Affairs, you will be held in a no more than 2-month preliminary period.

· Two members (minimum) of your organization must attend a student organization orientation or complete following training sessions:

o RSO Orientation Quiz on BlackBoard.

o Event Planning PowerPoint and Quiz on BlackBoard

o Accounts and Budgeting Session

· Have an Executive Board member (preferably President or Vice President) attend monthly Registered Student Organization Forum (RSOF) meetings.


Registered Student Organization Benefits

Official campus recognition is an honor and recognized organizations assume responsibilities and benefits. This is an organizational status and must be maintained. All organizations must re-register before mid-August of the Fall Semester each academic year. Upon recognition, organizations have the following benefits:

  • Use of University facilities, equipment and services (within McKendree University policy guidelines) for purposes relative to organization goals. (some restrictions apply)Permission to conduct fundraising that will benefit members.
    • Only registered organizations may use campus facilities free of charge. However, if damage is done to the facilities the organization will be charged for the damages.
  • Right to request funds from the Student Government Association or to access previously allocated funds.
  • Right to participate in all University events.
  • Use of the University name, mailing address and mailroom.
  • Use of the University tax-exempt status.
  • Establishment of a budget account with the business office for financial transactions.
  • Use of desk or storage space in the lower Pearsons area.
  • Use of electronic storage space for your organization
  • Ability to maintain an organizational web site
  • Recognition from McKendree University, which allows participation in events such as the Involvement Fair, Bearcat Week, Homecoming, and Spring Fling.
  • Permission to hold events, meetings and other activities on the McKendree University campus.
  • Listings in campus publications.
  • The use of on-campus printing and duplication services
  • The use of campus vehicles (pending proper training and authorization through Public Safety)
  • The right to assemble
  • Participation in training and workshops geared towards strengthening your student organization


To continue privileges of a recognized student organization, the organization must abide by established University policies and regulations. By seeking official recognition, the membership of the student organization acknowledges that the organization will be operated in a fiscally responsible manner and that the University is not responsible for any financial obligation made by a student organization.


Responsibilities of Registered Student Organizations

Organization Registration

The purpose of the student organization registration is to keep accurate records of active student organizations. When a new group is formed, a registration form must be turned in to the Office of Campus Activities or the Office of Student Affairs. Then, each subsequent year, an organization must only complete a renewal registration form and update their officers. See Appendix B for the New Student Organization Packet (also found online at RSO renewal information can also be submitted online via the Club and Organization Resource web page.


The privileges listed for student organizations will be immediately suspended for any groups not registered.

Other Responsibilities:

· Complete and submit the Registered Student Organization Renewal Form before Mid-August.

· Continue to meet all requirements for initial recognition.

· It is helpful to review your constitution on an annual basis. If you are making updates to your constitution, please be sure to notify the Office of Student Affairs and the Faculty Committee on Student Affairs.

· Have representatives attend the required Organization Orientation.

· Maintain a membership of at least 7 members and have a current faculty or staff advisor.

  • Register all events sponsored by the student organization in the Student Affairs Office.
  • Accept responsibility for a member’s behavior when:

o She/he is acting as a member of the organization, with or without sanction

o An event is held, officially or unofficially, in the name of the organization

  • Receive approval from the Office of Student Affairs and/or other specified offices for

o Promotional items

o Fundraising efforts

o Solicitation

o Events and Postings

  • Abide by all campus policies and procedures
  • Maintain registration throughout the year by keeping officer, advisor, and membership lists current. Submit an updated Active Roster when necessary.
  • Maintain your McKendree University issued website. It is a representation of your group and of the University. Please make sure that information is current and up to date.
  • Avoid any activity, speech, or expression that may be deemed as:

o Creating a clear danger of inciting violence or unlawful behavior

o Advocating the physical harm, coercion, intimidation or invasion of the personal rights of any individual

o Violating University policies on harassment

o Advocating the willful damage, destruction or seizure of University property

o Interfering with classes of University activities

  • It should be understood that the requirements to become a registered student organization or to maintain recognition are not limited to those listed above.


Failure to comply with the conditions listed may result in the following:

  • Discipline, suspension or revocation of the organization’s charter
  • Immediate cancellation of room use privileges
  • Removal of officer from office and loss of official University recognitionRemoval of website link and access
    • (ie. If an organization does not register with the Office of Student Affairs for the period of one academic year)
  • Loss of Student Government Association (SGA) or McKendree University allocated funding. This may include loss of privilege to solicit funds from SGA.
  • Additional sanctions as deemed appropriate by the Office of Student Affairs

Organizations that lose recognition status for any reason must meet any terms established by the University for reinstatement, and then must reapply for recognition status if they want to resume function.



RSO Renewal and Update Processes

· At the beginning of each academic school year, each Registered Student Organization must complete the online renewal form, located on the Club and Organization Resources page. This is required to maintain recognition and to continue to receive the benefits of recognition.

· After the election of officers, or if there is a change of officers, each group must send an updated list of officers and members to the Student Affairs Office by completing the RSO Update form, located on the Club and Organization Resources page .

· Contact information for the on-campus faculty/staff advisors, including phone number, department and email address should also be included. If any changes occur in the group’s constitution, the group must send the new constitution to the Student Affairs Office and have it reapproved.

Revocation of an Organization’s Recognition

Any on campus organization may be subject to having their constitution revoked if a grievance violation of University policy or a violation of stated purpose is filed with the Office of Student Affairs. The committee will then review the complaint and then make a recommendation to the vice President of Student Affairs.

RSO Officer Training Sessions and RSO Forum Meetings

The Office of Campus Activities facilitates several RSO training sessions that are offered at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. The office also encourages participation in several off campus leadership conferences each year. Each Registered Student Organization is required to send at least two representatives to one of the sessions.


Monthly forum meetings are held to generate discussion on topics pertaining to Registered Student Organizations. These sessions update an RSO’s leadership on:

· Changes in policies and guidelines

· Resources and other support materials

· Traditional events and RSO involvement

· Requirements and timeline for RSO Renewal

· Section review of the RSO Handbook


Groups that fail to attend a session or to meet the requirements of renewal may lose recognition status.


Web Space, Email Accounts, and Snail Mail

Recognized student organizations are eligible to receive accounts that can be used for file storage, web site publishing, and receiving email. If your group is interested in an organization account, your Advisor should contact the Information Technology Department (IT) with the following information:

· Organization’s official name;

· Desired organization account ID

· For web space, please contact the Web Content Manager, located in the University Communications Office with the name of the organization’s web manager.


Organization accounts are similar to regular McKendree accounts; however, organization accounts must be renewed annually. This will enable Information Technology and University Communications to keep track of current organization maintainers and to update their information once the organization contact is no longer affiliated with McKendree University. Groups will be notified before their organization account is about to expire and given the option to renew the account. If the organization account is not renewed, it will be suspended, archived, and deleted from the system.


Registered Student Organization Mail

All recognized student organizations are eligible to receive on and off campus mail in the Printing/Mail Services Office, located in Eisenmayer Hall. Updates from Campus Activities, departments within the Office of Student Affairs, and other student organizations may be distributed. Also, any packages that your organization receives will be left in the Printing/Mail Services Office and package pick-up slips for these will be placed into your organization’s mailbox.


How to Address Mail for Student Organizations:


Name of Organization

Contact Person



Name of Organization

Contact Person

McKendree University

701 College Road

Lebanon , IL 62254



Registered Student Organization Classifications

Registered student clubs and organizations are divided into five groups:


Departmental Organizations
These organizations are usually affiliated with academic departments on campus or have a parent organization in the community. They are always centered on a particular course of study.


Academic Fraternities and Honor Societies
These organizations recognize a particular level of achievement in any one field, and membership is generally determined by grade point average. Membership in an honor society is an indication of a high level of student achievement.


Greek letter fraternities and sororities provide opportunities for socialization, community service and special bonds with other students.


Special Interest/Service Clubs

O ffer a variety of opportunities for students to interact with other students, faculty and staff who have similar interests and needs. Organizations like these usually cater to one specific aspect of campus life. Service organizations provide volunteers for on campus and off campus community service related projects.


Religious/Faith Based Organizations
These organizations are religious based and offer fellowship with students with similar interests. Some of them are non-denominational while others have an emphasis on a particular denomination.



List of Registered Student Organizations

Funding Sources for Student Organizations


The McKendree University Student Government Association is the representative voice of the student body. Student Government Association serves three primary roles: to distribute funds to registered student organizations, to sponsor campus events and initiatives, and to promote communication between the students, faculty, and administration.

Please familiarize yourself with following details regarding budget request procedures before you complete your application:

· SGA budget funds come from a special budget designed to assist need- based projects that provide an educational and developmental opportunity to McKendree University students.

· This fund is a sub-budget delegated each year out of the Student Activities Fee and is available to any Registered Student Organization (RSO). There is a limited amount of money available, so not all requests will be granted and not all requests will be fully funded.

· Due to its nature, it is important that the projects be of maximum benefit to the student body. It is also expected that the applicant RSO have had made an effort to fundraise prior to the application; RSO’s failing to do so, can be denied funding. It is not recommended that organizations apply for funding multiple times in a semester.

· Budget Requests must be turned in by Friday at noon to be considered for the following Monday’s meeting. Packets may be submitted electronically to the SGA Treasurer, or may be dropped off in the SGA mailbox. The SGA mailbox is located in Clark Hall, Room 107. The SGA Treasurer will review applications. The RSO representative will be contacted by the SGA Treasurer to set up your meeting.

· A RSO representative will have five minutes to present the request to SGA. You should be able to answer questions regarding your request. The Meetings are held on Monday nights at 9 pm in Piper Academic Center. Barring extenuating circumstances, you will not be allowed to schedule an alternate meeting time. SGA reserves the right to investigate the funding request further or delegate the request to the Office of Student Affairs.

· The RSO representative will then be contacted by the SGA Treasurer regarding the monetary award. Award may be picked up from the Business Office in 2-3 business days of notification. Registered Student Organizations must have an account with the Business Office to receive funding.

· After the allocated funds have been spent, it is the responsibility of the student organization to submit all receipts, invoices, and proofs of purchases to the SGA Treasurer or SGA office. If justification of expenditures is not provided, the student group puts itself at risk of fining, revoking of recognized status, freezing of assets, and will be responsible for replacing the funds spent. Additionally, the student group will be unable to apply for future funding.


Student Organization Solicitation Policy

Fundraising provides opportunities for organizations to finance or subsidize activities not funded by the Student Government Association (SGA). Monies raised in these activities are put in a restricted account in the McKendree University account system. Unlike the funds allocated by SGA, the monies raised from fundraisers will be deposited in a special account that carries over from year to year. Approval for minor fundraisers is provided by the Office of Student Affairs. To schedule a fundraising event, please see the section on fund raising in the manual.



Fiscal Responsibility and Accounting



Each organization is responsible for its own finances. Officers are considered responsible for the payment of debts incurred during their term.


It is required that all organizations complete all transactions through their McKendree issued account. The treasurer may be asked to make a full account of the organization’s finances at any time. Financial records may be audited by the University at any time. If any financial difficulties arise during the school year, they should be brought to the immediate attention of the Office of Student Affairs.


Money Matters

Managing your organization’s finances can be a trying experience, but preparation and organization can put you on the path to success. Healthy finances will ensure a strong future for your organization by allowing you to recruit members, plan activities, and develop your organization’s vision. This section will provide some basic tools you can utilize to maintain fiscal responsibility and ensure that your organization remains in good financial standing with SGA, Student Activities, and the entire student body.


Developing a Budget

The best first step on the path to fiscal responsibility is to develop and maintain a detailed organization budget. It is best to have all members of your executive board work together to develop your budget; this will limit the possibility of missing revenue sources or possible expenditures. It is also good to refer to copies of your past budgets when developing a current or projected budget for your student organization.

When developing your budget, remember to be realistic and conservative. A well-organized budget has two parts: income and expenses. Income could include fundraising revenue, departmental contributions, and any other planned revenue sources. When projecting your income, list all sources and add up all contributions, then subtract 10% of the gross income just in case everything doesn’t come through.


Expenses include any money you plan to spend throughout the course of the year. You should project expenses for all events; big and small. Remember to include expenses for national membership dues (if applicable), supplies, promotional materials, travel, and conferences.

Once you have developed thorough lists of income and expenses, subtract your total expenses from your total income. That difference is the amount of money you need to raise through additional fundraising or requests for monies allocated by SGA.


Managing Your Budget

Once your organization has finalized a budget, refer to it often and update it as needed.


Your organization will stay on track toward reaching its goals if it maintains a budget that accurately reflects income and expenses. It is fiscally responsible to make every attempt to stay within your set budget. Fiscal responsibility will aid your organization’s future financial planning. It is highly recommended that a point person, preferably your authorized signer, keep track of all expenditures, deposits, and other income in an excel spreadsheet.


While most organizations use a treasurer or other financial officer to manage financial matters, it is important that more than one person understands the financial operations of the organization. Make sure organization members, especially program planners who spend money understand the organization’s financial operations for events and initiatives. A lack of understanding could lead to disregard for paying bills and controlling expenditures. If more members understand revenue potential and expenditure constraints, they will be more willing to work within them.


It’s normal for your budget to change and shift throughout the year. If you find that your organization would like to make a purchase or plan an activity that was not budgeted for in the beginning of the year, then your budget will have to be rearranged to compensate for the unexpected cost or your group will have to find another source of income to cover it. Likewise, if a purchase turns out to be significantly more expensive than predicted, you will have to adjust to cover this cost (another expense will have to be cut or additional income will need to be added).



Organization Accounts

Every organization with even the most basic income or expenses is required to open a university account with the Office of Administration and Finance, located in Wildy Hall. All organizations that receive SGA monies must access those funds through an on-campus account. Your McKendree University-issued accounts offer the following benefits:

  • Tax-exempt status for purchase pre-arranged with Student Activities
  • Ease of purchasing goods and services from campus vendors (Catering, Bookstore, Printing and Mailing, etc.)
  • Historical record-keeping of purchases and deposits
  • Security of funds


To open an account, a request must be made by the President of the RSO and the Advisor to the Office of Administration and Finance, located in Wildy Hall.


Accounts are designated by account numbers. Every student organization is assigned a unique account number. The Office of Administration and Finance may run an activity report, or account statement upon request by the organization officers of Advisor. Those reports show all financial transactions that took place during the previous month along with totals for the fiscal year to date (remember: the fiscal year runs from July to June, not January to December). Transactions are grouped by object codes: these designate types of expenses (postage, food, printing, etc.) or income (donation, ticket income, special allocation, etc.). Activity reports can be distributed to student organizations via email if requested.



Account Access and Authorized Signers

While every member of your organization should have an understanding of your group’s finances, access to your account is restricted to one or two individuals and your Advisor, who should be trained to authorize all transactions that are processed in the Office of Administration and Finance. These authorized signers and Advisor are required to verify all transactions with their signature prior to submission for payment. This includes all reimbursements, check requests, on-campus purchases, and journal entry transfers. Certain requests may require the signature of the Vice President for Student Affairs or appropriate department head. If a request is received in the Office of Administration and Finance that is not signed by one of your organization’s authorized signers, that request will be held until proper authorization is received.


This policy will ensure that all transactions are being authorized by individuals who have a thorough understanding of your organization’s budget and who are trained on the various policies and procedures that govern the University’s financial system. In order to register as your organization’s authorized signer, an individual must attend training sessions offered by the Office of Campus Activities at the start of each semester: Accounting and Budgets training. The authorized signer’s signature will be placed on file and used to verify that all transaction requests have been authorized by the proper individuals.



Off-Campus Accounts

To protect the interests of student organizations and the university, no recognized student organization is permitted to hold an off-campus bank account. Special permissions may be granted to organizations that are campus chapters of nationally-recognized organizations with 501(c)(3) status; in those cases, the off-campus account must be in the name of the national organization; however this permission must be granted by the Office of Student Affairs and Office of Administration and Finance. No organization can open a bank account under McKendree University’s name or by using the University tax ID number.



Accessing Your Funds

All funds deposited with the university must be handled in accordance with university policy. There are multiple ways to access these funds; however the type of transaction required is usually dictated by the ultimate destination of the funds. For example, there is one procedure for paying an individual by check for goods and services they provide to your organization and another procedure for transferring funds electronically to another department or organization on campus. Details of how to make payments and deposits follow. The Office of Administration and Finance does not have account check books and cannot give organizations cash from their accounts.



Making Purchases

Transfer of Funds

When utilizing a campus service (Dining Services, Print Shop/Mailroom, etc), a simple transfer of funds can be made out of organization accounts. The Office of Administration and Finance receives internal billing invoices and approves payment, in consultation with the student organization, from appropriate accounts.


Direct Billing

Certain off-campus vendors or merchants have the ability to bill your McKendree University Club or Organization when purchases are made. These bills come directly to the Office of Administration and Finance and will be billed directly to the student organization responsible for making the purchase. Names of organizations must be clearly indicated on the bill so that payment is made from the correct account.


Purchase Orders

If your group is making a purchase for over $250, a purchase order is required PRIOR to ordering any items or services. A purchase order number can be requested from the Office of Administration and Finance by the organization’s advisor. As a courtesy, this must be done at least 48 hours in advance of the purchase. Purchase order forms must be completed with the name of the company, account number and goods ordered.


All requisitions must be signed by the advisor of the Organization, or if needed, director of the department or the department chair. If the requisition is over $500.00 it must be signed by the Vice President of that department or the Provost. These steps must be followed in order to receive a purchase order number. Goods and Services over $250.00 are not authorized without a purchase order number. Let the Administration and Finance office know if they are expected to place the order. When the invoice is billed to you, please verify that the goods have been received and send the invoice to accounts payable.


When purchases are contemplated and the cost of the goods or services is:

  • Under $500 - Only one telephone bid need be obtained, unless the item is highly competitive.


  • $500 up to $2,999 - Three telephone bids must be obtained. Information concerning the bids will be included on the requisition.


  • Over $3,000 - Three written bids are required. The bid request will be signed by the Vice President over the area involved.


Exception to above will only be in bona fide emergencies and will require approval of the Vice President for Administration and Finance.


Check Request for Goods and Services

Every check written from your account will have McKendree University’s name on it, so student organizations must satisfy the purchasing guidelines and policies set forth by the university’s purchasing department before making off-campus purchases. Several criteria must be met before such a purchase can be made. First, you must establish that your preferred vendor is in the University financial system. A vendor is defined as any business entity or individual that provides goods or services to your organization for a fee. Check with the Office of Administration and Finance to verify if the vendor you want to use is in the database. If the vendor is not listed, they will work with you to have the company or individual added. If you wish to pay an individual who is already employed by McKendree University, you must arrange payment with the Accounts Coordinator in Student Activities.


Once it is determined that the vendor you would like to use has been entered into the database, submit a

Check Request form, which can be found on the Club and Organization Resources website.


This form should be used for all payment requests that result in a check being issued from your University account to pay for goods or services received from an off-campus vendor or individual. It can also be used to make pre-payment arrangements for purchases that may need a purchase order (PO). This form should be filled out in its entirety, including all information about the vendor; the purchase details, the timeline for payment, and be accompanied by supporting documentation such as a bill, invoice, quote, contract, or agreement. Checks are usually available within 1-2 business days after the properly completed request is received in the Office of Administration and Finance.


If this form is submitted with a quote in order to have a PO created for goods and services that will be received at a later date, be certain to deliver the final invoice, referencing the PO, to the Office of Administration and Finance in order to have the final check cut and sent to the vendor.



Contracts and Agreements

It is important to note that a contract or an agreement is almost always required when you need to pay a business or individual for services. A service can be described as anything that does not involve the purchase of tangible goods. This can include, but is not limited to, lectures, musical performances, tech support, set up and tear down of equipment, food preparation and service, design work, or website support. Please be certain to work with the Office of Administration and Finance well before you enter into any sort of agreement with a vendor for any type of service performed on or off campus. Any service that is provided on campus or as part of any official McKendree University sponsored event must have an agreement that is signed and executed by an authorized university official. As students are not able to sign and execute agreements or contracts as representatives of the university, it is imperative that you communicate with Office of Administration and Finance to receive proper guidance on the development and authorized execution of any agreement. Student organizations may act as the SPONSOR of an event, but are not considered the PURCHASER, and are NOT authorized to make such agreements independently. The Vice President of Administration and Finance is authorized to represent the University and will facilitate contractual agreements on behalf of student organizations.


Services provided off campus as part of a non-university sponsored event can have agreements that are signed by individual students; however you should still work with the Office of Administration and Finance to ensure that you are looking out for the best interest of your organization as represented in any written contract.


The contracts process is lengthy, so any contracts to be signed by a university official must be advanced to the Office of Administration and Finance at least 2 weeks in advance of your purchase.




If a member of your organization spends his/her own money to purchase goods for your group, he/she can submit a request to be reimbursed for that expense. Reimbursement requests must be supported by an original, detailed receipt. Reimbursements are processed much more efficiently when the proof of purchase is well-supported.


Receipts and other supporting documents should be attached to a Check Request form and turned in to the Office of Administration and Finance. Please fill out the form in its entirety and make sure you provide a detailed description of the purchase including all pertinent information. Reimbursements may be processed within the same week they are submitted.



Gift Cards, Prizes, and Awards

If your organization awards any sort of prize or gift to any individual, it is strongly encouraged that a prize receipt be filled out by the recipient to ensure the University is compliant with IRS tax laws. If requested by the Office of Administration and Finance, these forms must be submitted with the corresponding receipt, invoice, or purchase request.




To deposit cash or checks to your organization’s account, funds must be taken to the Business Office, located in Wildy Hall. Communicate the amount and account for which the funds will be applied. Be sure to obtain a deposit receipt (this is important for tracking your deposits and budgeting). Whenever possible, two people should count and verify the amount being deposited prior to taking the funds to the Business Office and funds should be taken there as soon as possible after they are received.



Cash Handling Procedures

It is imperative that organizations maintain proper cash handling procedures. Any time an organization receives income from fundraisers, sales, dues, or other organization activities, all money should be taken to the Business Office for deposit as soon as possible. Under no circumstances should organizations maintain a significant amount of money in an unsecured location or in the possession of any member.



isor Information

Guidelines for Advisors:

The student organization advisor assumes guidance and informational roles in relating to the student organization by:

  1. Having a working knowledge of the University’s policies as they relate to student organizations.
  2. Keeping students informed of University policies and procedures and helping/guiding the group to insure proper adherence.
  3. Having a concern for the ongoing function of the student organization. This can be actualized by attending executive board and student organizational meetings.
  4. Being informed of all meetings and programs sponsored by the organization.
  5. Having concern about the development of leadership skills of the members; particularly the officers, and by promoting and supporting group interactions and decision making.
  6. Serve as a resource in recognizing, addressing and assisting in resolving problems and issues confronting the group. The key word is resource not source.
  7. Being present at functions sponsored by your student organization. (Advisors are highly encouraged to be in attendance as specific events, or must find another faculty or staff member to attend in their absence.)
  8. Helping the group achieve its goals by sharing expertise, insight, ideas and making recommendations when appropriate.
  9. Interpreting University policies in order to keep the organization’s and the institution’s best interests in mind.
  10. Recommending suspension of privileges if the advisor believes that the organization is planning to, or has violated state and/or University policies.
  11. The voluntary association between an advisor and an organization should continue as long as both parties believe the relationship is productive and mutually satisfying.


Campus Policies and Procedures

All Registered Student Organizations are bound by the information in the McKendree University Student Handbook. Particular attention should be paid to the Campus Regulations and Judicial Procedures Document. A registered student organization can be found in violation of those policies just as an individual student can. Questions about discipline cases should be addressed to the Office of Student Affairs, Clark Hall, Room 107, (618) 537-6854.


Responsibility at Group Functions

Any McKendree University student and/or guests responsible for disorderly conduct at any function sponsored by the University or by any University organization is required to leave the function immediately.


Responsibility for the enforcement of these regulations rests with the advisor, officers or appointed representative(s) of the organization sponsoring the function and the Public Safety Officer(s) at the function.



Film/video licensing to screen movies

Video Tapes and DVDs that are available for purchase, rented from many commercial establishments, or checked out of the library are for home viewing purposes only. This means they can only be viewed in your private living spaces. For campus purposes, that means your residence hall room. (For home purposes, it means anywhere in your private residence). Same rules apply for movies/television shows that are video taped at home on VCRs or TIVO.


Therefore anytime a group shows a movie in any context, the group must purchase the public viewing rights (copyright) for that particular showing. Copyright purchase for film currently runs $300-$600 per showing for popular titles from major movie distributors. Independent films could cost less but must be negotiated with the holder of the copyright for those particular films. Swank Motion Pictures is a film distributing company that works with college environments and handles most commercial grade film titles. For pricing and availability you may contact them at 1-800-876-5577.


Many of you may know that there is an exception to the public performance fees for college and universities. That exception is only in the case of face-to face classroom instruction by a faculty member. The faculty member may show the film/movie outside the normal class period (at night for example) however; it is only for those students who are registered for the class. The movie must also be shown in spaces that are designated for instruction; in a residential college, library screening-rooms (and individual carrels) are usually also considered spaces designated for instruction. (Even in some cases a residence hall might qualify). In most cases library screening rooms, residence hall or student union lounges, cafeterias do not qualify. It is best to ask before screening a movie in these areas.

A faculty member cannot show it for his/her class and then open it up to the rest of the campus. In order to invite others, the public viewing rights must be purchased. Acceptable attendance for films in which the copyright is not purchased only include students registered for the class, the instructor and guest lecturer(s).


Purchasing public viewing rights does not depend on variables such as audience size or charging of admission. Regardless if it is 3 people versus 300 people, size is not considered in determining if public viewing rights need to be purchased. (Size may, however, influence the amount of the public performance fee). Likewise you still have to purchase the copyrights even if you are offering the movie/film to the audience for free. Because we are a non-profit educational institution we do qualify for the face-to-face teaching exemptions. However, that does not mean that because we are a not profit educational institution that all films/movies shown here are exempt. Only those with an instructor present with students enrolled in his/her class qualify. This principle holds true no matter how much educational or intellectual value is contained in the film.


Showing a film is a fun and easy event to organize. Nevertheless, you must always keep in the forefront that just because you purchased the film, rented or checked it out, you cannot turn that Video Tape/DVD into a program. Public performance rights must be purchased and secured before advertising any event related to movie/film viewing. Failure to adhere to these guidelines (even if done so innocently and inadvertently) can result in fines from $750 to $30,000 per showing. If admission is charged to the event and the organization/person receives some commercial or personal financial gain, fines can range upward to $150,000 plus a year in jail.


If you have further questions, please contact the Office of Campus Activities.


Planning an On Campus Event

It is not uncommon for student organizations to sponsor events both on and off campus. Your events help add to the community at McKendree by providing a means to accompany in-class learning. The following is a step by step process to make your events happen through the event registration process.

  1. The most important step is to plan ahead!
  2. Formulate your idea for an event or activity.
  3. Check out other happenings on campus to determine what date and time would be best to hold your event. Places to check are the main Campus Calendar at: , or the Registered Student Organization calendar ( Another place is through Microsoft Outlook. You can do so by accessing Microsoft Outlook, clicking Folder List, Public Folders, All Public Folders, Physical Plant, and then Event Registrations. All of these methods will be helpful in determining “down times” on the schedule.
  4. Check with the Event Registration Coordinator to determine which facilities are open that would be appropriate to hold your event in. Here is a brief overview of some space on campus:
    1. Ames Dining Hall – can hold up to 200 people, not accessible during normal meal hours
    2. Classrooms – check with Academic Records Office to schedule their usage
    3. Pearsons Hall ( 1828 Café) – holds up to 150 people
    4. Hettenhausen Fine Art Center – capacity 500 people (check with the Director for usage)
    5. The Lair – capacity 120 (check with the Director of Campus Activities for usage)
    6. Residence Halls – most halls have a lounge that can be reserved for general use
    7. McKendree West Clubhouse – building space, meeting room, and a pool!
    8. Bothwell Chapel – can be reserved when not being used for other purposes
  5. Other spaces available for reservation are open area on campus including:
    1. The Quad
    2. Front Lawn
    3. Sand Volleyball Court
    4. Intramural Field

Make sure that you have a rain location secured if you are planning an event for outdoors!

  1. Once you have your event date and location chosen you should register the event with the Event Registration Coordinator. This can be done by going online to the RSO Resources Page ( to complete or download the Event Registration Form. This form can also be obtained by stopping by the Coordinator’s Office in Pearsons Hall 2 nd Floor, and completing the Event Registration Form.
  2. What events should be registered? If the answer to ANY of the following questions is YES, then you should register your event:By registering the event, you are automatically qualifying your organization to take advantage of many publicity opportunities through the Office of Student Campus Activities. You are also able to pick up an event planning checklist (see Appendix L) to assist you in knowing what you need and who you need to contact to smoothly plan your event.
    1. Are you publicizing your event to the entire campus?
    2. Is it being held in a public space in a University facility?
    3. Are you charging admission for the event or raising funds for your club or organization?
    4. Do you have a 3 rd party vendor coming to the event?
    5. Are you transporting people off-campus for this event?
  4. At an event meeting the following criteria, an advisor or other responsible University staff or faculty person is strongly encouraged to be present throughout the event:
    1. If the event has an admission charge
    2. If there is a 3 rd party vendor who is being paid for its services
    3. If the event is advertised to the general public (outside of McKendree University)
    4. If the event is being held off campus

Though it is not required that this staff person is the advisor, it is strongly recommended to insure continuity of knowledge regarding the event.




Off Campus Events and Conference Guidelines

Every student attending an off-campus activity or conference on behalf of a student organization is acting as a representative of McKendree University. To that end, courtesy and respect for others must be demonstrated at all times. Mature, professional conduct is expected of every student. It is highly encouraged that the student organization advisor or designee attends the conference to provide guidance and support to the student delegates. Please observe the following guidelines for students traveling on behalf of the University or attending an off-campus University sponsored event.

  1. Register the event with the Office of Student Affairs and the Provost’s Office
  2. Students must provide a list of participants, contact information, and departure and arrival times to the Office of Student Affairs at least 1 week PRIOR to departing campus.
  3. An informational meeting must be held prior to departure from campus to insure that each participant is well informed of the arrangements and itinerary of the trip.
  4. Students are responsible for their behavior and will be held accountable while traveling on behalf of the University.
  5. Student Government Association, The Office of Student Affairs, and McKendree University do not condone or tolerate underage consumption of alcohol at University sponsored/supported or affiliated functions. Students of McKendree University are expected to abide by the laws of the state that they are in at all times.
  6. Respect should be shown at all times for others and all non-personal property.


If an advisor or student leader feels that any student has not adhered to these guidelines and has behaved in a manner that is unprofessional, illegal or irresponsible, that student could face sanctioning as pertained to the University regulations document upon return to campus.


Promoting Your Event

If you want people to attend your event, meeting, or activity, you must make them aware of when it is going to happen. Here are some points to consider when publicizing your event.


1) Approval - All events, promotion, and publicity must be approved by the Director of Student Services. If approval is not obtained, much time, effort, and planning may be lost. Note: All posters and flyers must be stamped for approval in the Office of Student Affairs.

2) Timing - Put the material out soon enough for people to make plans to participate but not so early that they won't attend. A lot of this depends on the public you are trying to reach. If it is a specific group you want to target, you may do several mailings. If it is a large group in one community, you may do posters. The closer you get to an event; you may want to use several forms of publicity.

3) Appeal - The material should appeal to the people you want to attend the event. This depends on the theme, the event, and when the event will take place.

4) Location - You must put publicity materials in the traffic areas of the people you want to reach. You want them to hear what is going on and see what your organization is doing.

5) Type - The following is a list of various publicity material you can use to advertise your event. Publicity can be either very expensive or you can make it creative without spending a bundle of money.

Banners Posters Flyers Balloons

Newsletters Brochures Table Tents Sign-up Sheets

Chalking Mailouts

6) Information - Be sure to include all the information in the publicity that the person needs to know. Who - what - when - how much - where, are the vital questions that must be answered for the public. Be sure to give your organization credit for sponsoring the event on your publicity.

7) Coordination - Delegate publicity duties to everyone on the committee. It is everyone's responsibility to let people know about an event.

8) Budget - Check your budget. It is important to invest money into the area of publicity, so don't forget this in planning for an event.

9) Evaluate - How did everything go? Write down every type of publicity you used, and then think about some of the other ideas you could have applied.

Publicity Policies

The following policies govern how events can be publicized on campus:


Posting information on campus

· All posters, announcements, advertisements, etc. placed in public areas on campus must be approved by the Director of Student Services, Clark Hall, Room 107.

· The Director of Student Services approves materials for all off-campus vendors, including community service announcements.


Signs, Posters, etc.

· Signs may not be attached to painted surfaces.

· Signs may not be placed on glass anywhere on campus.

· Signs may not be attached to traffic signs, buildings or other permanent structures without approval. Individuals and groups are encouraged to demonstrate good judgment and avoid offensive or lewd comments or drawings on all publicity material. Any materials found objectionable may be rejected for posting by the approving authorities.

· Signs posted without approval will be removed and the individual group responsible for posting the signs may be restricted from further use of bulletin boards on campus.

· Free-standing signs may be used in the Quad area in the middle of campus as long as they:

o Do not block sidewalks

o Aren't near shrubbery or easily damaged plants

o Do not pose a safety problem

o Conform to sizes specified

· The signs must be approved by the Director of Student Services (just like posters and flyers) and removed within five days or after completion of event.

Political advertising (by off-campus candidates) is not allowed on campus.
Signs will be monitored. All signs without approval or left past their designated limit will be removed.
The approving department will monitor this process.



Banners made by your organization or obtained through outside sponsors, etc. cannot remain on campus for more than two consecutive weeks. Banners must be removed within 48 hours after the event.

Sidewalk chalk

Sidewalk chalk can only be used on walking areas that are concrete. Sidewalk chalk cannot be used within 10 feet of an entrance to a building. Sidewalk chalk is not to be used on any surface not on the ground, including, but not limited to, trash cans, ashtrays, trees, benches. Do not crowd other messages. Your messages could be damaged when others are removed. Include the Date of the event in all of your messages. You are responsible for removing your messages when they expire. A spray bottle with mild detergent and a scrub brush will be available in the Campus Activities office. Questions about the banner and sidewalk chalk policies should be directed to the Director of Student Services, Clark Hall, Room 107, (618) 537-6854.


Campus Activities eSource, McKendree Review Newspaper, and other publications

The Campus Activities eSource is a weekly electronic publication that showcases events sponsored by Registered Student Organizations and the Office of Campus Activities. The eSource is distributed weekly via the campus email system to faculty, staff, undergraduate, and graduate students. Information that the organization would like in the Campus Activities e-Source must be submitted to the Campus Activities Office by 4pm on Tuesdays. To access the form, visit the Registered Student Organization Resources Page (


Information to be posted in the McKendree Review must be submitted in compliance with their posted deadlines. Information about press worthy events open to the general public should be sent to the Director of Media Relations in the University Communications Office. Add your event to the Campus Events Calendar at:





Drivers of University-owned, rented or leased vehicles must register with the Operations Coordinator and complete the driver certification process. This is a one-time training/certification program, and drivers who have not completed the certification will not be allowed to operate a University-owned, rented, or leased vehicle.


The certification process consists of:


(1) Providing a copy of your valid driver's license;

(2) Completing a DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) check annually; and

(3) Accomplishing an internet-based, interactive, safe driving course. This course takes approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes and the Operations Coordinator can provide information about how the course can be accessed.

Individuals intending to drive University vehicles are responsible for scheduling the certification.




The University maintains a fleet of vehicles to support collegiate activities. Vehicles are not provided for personal use, or rented to off-campus agencies or persons. A minimum of four passengers is required for van usage. The Director of Operations for the University is the program administrator with the Operations Coordinator providing back-up. The requirements contained in this policy apply to both rented and university-owned vehicles.


Van trips are limited to an area within a 400 mile radius of the University.


McKendree University also maintains a fleet of work vehicles for the Physical Plant and Operations departments.


Students, faculty, and staff must be certified by the Operations Coordinator in order to drive University-owned or rented vehicles. Certification includes:


(1) Must be 21 years of age.

(2) Providing a copy of a current, valid driver's license.

(3) A successful report from the State Department of Motor Vehicles annually.

(4) Successful completion of an appropriate internet-based, interactive, safe driving course administered by the Operations Coordinator or a designated representative.


Trips within a 200 mile radius require one certified driver. Trips between 200 and 400 miles require two certified drivers for each van used. This applies to both rented and university owned vehicles.


Files are maintained by the Operations department regarding student certifications. These certifications are active and in effect until a student graduates or otherwise severs connection with the University. However, a successful Department of Motor Vehicle check is required annually. Drivers may not operate a vehicle if prescription drugs are being used and warn of drowsiness or impaired performance. License revocation by the State of Illinois, or any other state, will render persons ineligible to drive University vehicles.


Van availability may be checked by calling the Operations Coordinator at ext. 6958. If the Operations Coordinator is not available, contact the Public Safety office. A fully completed van reservation form listing names of certified driver(s) must be forwarded to the Operations Coordinator at least 10 working days in advance of trip. If two or more requests are turned in for the same trip, each one must list the intended certified driver(s).


Vans are picked up at the physical plant building on Monroe Street and returned to the same location. If the physical plant is closed, vans are procured by calling the Public Safety Department at 6911 or 792-3500. A drop slot is located in the front door of the physical plant build­ing for after-hours return of van keys and van forms (with mileage recorded).


User Responsibilities:

(1) Seat belts must be worn by all occupants without exception.

(2) The driver must maintain order among passengers so that he/she may devote full concentration to operating the vehicle.

(3) The driver must ensure that trash is picked up and properly disposed of, and that any spills are cleaned up promptly to avoid setting of the stain.

(4) All spills and any damage to the vans, interior or exterior must be reported upon return of the van.

(5) All maintenance problems (engine knocking, brakes, steering, etc.) must be reported to the Director of Operations as soon as the van is returned to University.

(6) Smoking or the use of any tobacco product is prohibited inside the vans and alcohol and non-prescription drug use are strictly forbidden.

(7) The driver of the vehicle assumes responsibility for all fines resulting from traffic violations.

Emergency Situations:


Vehicle Disabled:

In the event that the van becomes disabled or in any way not drivable, the driver should park in secure location, or take the van to nearest auto repair facility, and call Public Safety at 792-3500 to report and receive further instructions. The driver shall procure other means of transportation and keep receipts when renting any vehicle.



In the event of an accident, the following steps must be taken;

(1) Determine injuries to passengers and seek medical assistance, if necessary, at once.

(2) If another vehicle is involved, exchange insurance and license information (in glove compartment) with the other driver. Do not comment on fault. Do not leave the scene of the accident until the proper local authorities have cleared you to do so.

(3) If van is not drivable, call Public Safety at (618) 792-3500 to inform University of situation and location of vehicle, and to receive further instructions.

(4) Procure other means of transportation (rent van--keep receipt).

(5) Driver should write down details of the accident as soon as possible, being as specific as possible, and submit the report to the Director of Operations of the University upon return. Our insurance company demands immediate reporting of the accident.


University departments will be charged a per mile mileage charge to cover gas, maintenance, depreciation, insurance, etc. These charges will change (increase) from time to time to reflect increases in these costs to the University. The University community will be notified by the Vice President for Administration and Finance when these increases occur. If a user needs to purchase gas/oil in the course of the trip, reimbursement will occur via departmental channels upon presentation of all receipts. Fluid levels should be checked each time the vehicle requires gasoline.


At all times, it is expected that the driver and passengers will ensure a positive image of McKendree University regarding rules of the road, and courtesy to other drivers.


Please Note: If a McKendree University student uses their personal vehicle for University events, they should be aware that their own auto insurance will need to respond to any vehicle accidents while in route. This also applies to injuries to their passengers.