What steps do I need to take to begin taking classes at McKendree University?

Who can I contact if I have questions?

Where do I find more information about the GI Bill?

Where can I learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Will you accept credit for my professional military experience?

Does my spouse qualify for these benefits?

Do you recognize other military benefits besides Yellow Ribbon? 

What steps do I need to take to begin taking classes at McKendree University?

1.   Apply at a McKendree Admission Office or apply online.

2.   Determine your veterans benefits by contacting your regional VA Office. Detailed information can be found at www.gibill.va.gov.

3.   Gather and submit your Certificate of Eligibility and official transcripts (i.e., high school, college, and Joint Services).

4.   Contact the Admission Office at the site you wish to attend to register for classes.

5.   Complete your FAFSA and make an appointment to meet with the certifying official at your site. 


Who can I contact if I have questions?

All McKendree campuses have staff specifically designated to provide support for veteran and active military students. Our veteran certifying officials serve as liaisons between you and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). They are available to certify enrollment to the VA, assist in processing claims and answer questions concerning veterans benefits.

Lebanon Campus, Online & External Sites - Kim Wiggins (618) 537-6529, by e-mail kjwiggins@mckendree.edu

Kentucky Campuses- Lisa Hinton (270) 351-5003, by email lchinton@mckendree.edu

The Center at Scott AFB - Tia Crowder (618) 744-0426, by e-mail tdcrowder@mckendree.edu

Where do I find more information about the GI Bill?

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has set up a web page with information at http://www.gibill.va.gov/.

If you have specific questions about your personal eligibility, please contact the VA directly.

How can I find more information about the Yellow Ribbon Program?

McKendree University, in partnership with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), offers a full tuition scholarship to veterans who qualify and apply under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

The Yellow Ribbon Program, is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. McKendree entered into a voluntary agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceeds the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition and fees. McKendree will waive 50 percent, the maximum amount allowed, of the difference in tuition cost and the VA will match that amount. This will enable qualified students to essentially attend McKendree tuition-free.

The scholarship, called the McKendree Post-9/11 Veteran Award, is available for coursework or training pursued on or after August 1, 2009 In order to be eligible for Yellow Ribbon Program benefits, you must be eligible for the full benefits of the Post 9/11 GI Bill. This means you must fulfill one of the following: served at least 36 months on active duty beginning on or after Sept. 11, 2001; honorably discharged from active duty due to a service-related disability and have served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001; or you are a dependent eligible for the full benefits of the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, eligible veterans enrolled full-time are entitled to a tuition benefit, monthly housing allowance, and a $1,000 yearly stipend for books and supplies.

Just like the other benefits of the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the Yellow Ribbon Program is treated like a grant, not a loan. Military students that benefit from the Yellow Ribbon Program do not have to pay back the benefits they receive.

“McKendree University has a long history of serving the military community and we hope that the McKendree Post-9/11 Veteran Award will enable even greater numbers of veterans to take advantage of the outstanding programs that we offer,” said Dr. Christine Bahr, provost and dean of the university.

For more information on the Yellow Ribbon Program, visit http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_BILL_info/ch33/yellow_ribbon.htm.

Will you accept credit for my professional military experience?

Credit may be granted after review of your military transcript.

Concurrent Admissions Program (ConAp)

ConAp is a joint program of the Army, Service members Opportunity Colleges, and participating colleges to admit new soldiers to college at the time of enlistment.

McKendree admits eligible soldiers on a full or provisional basis and defers enrollment until completion of active military service. The agreement is in effect for two years following completion of the initial enlistment for active duty soldiers or, for Army Reserve soldiers, two years after completing initial active duty for training.

Do you recognize other military benefits besides Yellow Ribbon?  

In addition to the following military benefits administered by the VA, students may be eligible for state, federal and private scholarships.

Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30)

Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

Veterans Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 32)

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)