First-Generation Student Success
First-Generation Student Success is a program serving first-generation college students at McKendree University whose parents did not complete a 4-year degree. This program is dedicated to providing you with support and resources that will help you successfully acclimate to the campus environment and graduate.
Are you a new Bearcat this Fall? Great!
Are you a family member of a soon-to-be McKendree student? Welcome!
Check out this article link: It features tips for families and includes interviews with McKendree students and staff:
News for Fall 2013
Kicking off the semester at the Involvement Fair on Friday, August 30 from 11A-2P.
Stop by our table and get your FREE first-gen wrist band, enter our raffle, and learn
more about our Registered Student Organization (RSO).
See you on the Quad!
Support your student by learning about First-Generation Student Success right here!
Did you just finish your first year at McKendree and find yourself unsure of how you
will complete your degree here? Let's talk!
~Get started by reading the article on the link above
and then using this webpage and my phone number at the bottom
to discuss strategies to succeed.~
Here's another great source of information:
First-Generation College students are in the news again. US News and World Report had a report in June, 2013 that you may find interesting and useful. Click the link
to read the article.
Click on the link below to hear an interesting discussion among first-gen students and some excellent advice for parents!
News for Spring 2013
The Illinois Association for College Admission Counseling (IACAC)
West Central District Seminar was hosted at McKendree on Friday, March 15,
and First-Genners, Kayla McClain, Nykhala Coston, and MIriah McCaffrey
served on a panel discussion about first-generation success.
A recent article in The New York Times will be of interest to many first-generation students and their families: http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/11/tips-for-first-generation-college-applicants/?smid=pl-share
We're headed to the Hett to see a film on Wednesday, February 13
and will have Dessert and Discussion following the film.
Email Lisa Brennan at firstname.lastname@example.org to vote for your favorite dessert!
Please sign our Membership Roster!
We need as many signatures as possible, and the
Deadline to sign is Friday, February 15 (but you can always join us!)
Email email@example.com for more information.
We just took a field trip to City Museum on January 25th.
First-Generation students are meeting regularly and are in the final stages of applying
to be a Registered Student Organization.
1. Join us February 6 at 3PM in Fireplace Lounge of New Residence Halls
HOW I FOUND FUNDS
TO ATTEND AND GRADUATE FROM A UNIVERSITY:
ONE FIRST-GENERATION STUDENT'S STORY OF SUCCESS
LIGHT REFRESHMENTS SERVED
2. Wednesday, February 13 Movie at 7:30 followed by
Dessert & Discussion
Don't forget to file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Call me for assistance with FAFSA
News for Fall 2012
1. A new Living & Learning Community has been set up for students in the new dorms. For more information, contact Residence Life at 618-537-6855.
2. First-Generation students are organizing as a Registered Student Organization, and we need your help. If you are in support of getting this started, we need your signature ! Contact Denise Kennedy at 618-537-6900.
3. If you are interested in learning about scholarship opportunities and need assistance applying for scholarships, please contact Lisa Brennan at 618-537-2150.
4. First-Generation students are attending some of the performances at the Hett. If you'd like to join us to check out some of the films and performances, contact us! (See above for contact information.)
5. First-Generation students are going to do some Service Learning Projects. We have a tentative date set for Wednesday, September 26. Contact Denise to sign up for this first of the First-Generation activities!
6. We have purchased some really helpful online workshops for McKendree students. Go to Student Lingo to take part in 30-minute interactive workshops that will help you succeed. One is on Time Management and has some GREAT resources available. Another is on How to Succeed as a College Student, and a third is Understanding and Avoiding Plagiarism. You may access these 24/7 and as often as you'd like over the next year.
Please complete the evaluation at the end of the workshops!
Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
509 Stanton Street (located in a house directly across the street, west of Voigt Science)
• Answers to your questions about college
• Assistance with searching and applying for scholarships
• Guidance for families of first-generation students
• Networking opportunities to meet with first-gen professors and first-gen students
• Tutoring and study groups
• Online services for off-site students
• Referrals to on-campus and off-campus resources
• Family members of McKendree students will want to check out the new Parent Association at McKendree. The membership is FREE. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and keep in mind this is for family members of McKendree Students.
• Want to learn more from first-generation students across the United States? Visit www.firstinthefamily.org to view videos of students sharing their experiences.
• STUDENT STRESS? www.campuscalm.com
Scholarships for 2012
Congratulations to the 2012 First-Generation Student Success Scholarship Recipients
Nykhala Coston - Lebanon Campus
Michelle Deatherage - Scott Air Force Base Campus
Martha Feldkamp - Louisville, KY Campus
Brandi Foster - AiM Program
Nathan Hunt - Lebanon Campus
Lora Kern - Lebanon Campus
Kayla McClain - Lebanon Campus
Cassandra Ochoa - Lebanon Campus
Deante Siller - Lebanon Campus
We will not be offering scholarships for the 2012-2013 Academic Year
First-Generation Faculty & Staff
Many faculty and staff were first-generation students themselves! They would love to chat with you and help you with questions or challenges you might face.
Deborah Larson - Assistant Dean & Registrar
Dr. Brenda Boudreau - English
Dr. Linda Hoffman - Psychology
Scott Colby - Physical Education
Belinda Kern - Nursing
Dr. Darrell Hardt - Assistant Professor and Executive Director of Kentucky Campuses. Director of EdS/EdD Programs
Dr. Darryn Diuguid - Education
Michelle Magnussen - Theatre
Dr. Brenda Doll - Education
Dr. Janet Wicker - Education
Dr. Lyn Huxford - Sociology
Dr. Richelle Rennegarbe - Nursing
Dr. Joseph Knickmeyer - Mathematics
Dr. Kian Pokorny - Computer Science
Dr. Shelly Lemons - History
Dr. Tami Eggleston - Psychology
Dr. Alan Alewine - Mathematics
McKendree University's First-Generation Student Success program was funded in part by a grant from The Council of Independent Colleges and the Walmart Foundation. The CIC/Walmart College Success Award was granted to the university in April, 2010 and completed in 2012.
Meet the Staff