First-Generation Student Success
First-Generation Student Success is a program serving first-generation college students at McKendree University whose parents did not complete a 4-year degree. This program is dedicated to providing you with support and resources that will help you successfully acclimate to the campus environment and graduate.
Check out this article link: It features tips for families and includes interviews with McKendree students and staff:
Support your student by learning about First-Generation Student Success right here!
Did you just finish your first year at McKendree and find yourself unsure of how you
will complete your degree here? Let's talk!
~Get started by reading the article on the link above
and then using this webpage and my phone number at the bottom
to discuss strategies to succeed.~
Here's another great source of information:
First-Generation College students are in the news again. US News and World Report had a report in June, 2013 that you may find interesting and useful. Click the link
to read the article.
Click on the link below to hear an interesting discussion among first-gen students and some excellent advice for parents!
Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
509 Stanton Street (located in a house directly across the street, west of Voigt Science)
• Answers to your questions about college
• Assistance with searching and applying for scholarships
• Guidance for families of first-generation students
• Networking opportunities to meet with first-gen professors and first-gen students
• Tutoring and study groups
• Online services for off-site students
• Referrals to on-campus and off-campus resources
• Family members of McKendree students will want to check out the new Parent Association at McKendree. The membership is FREE. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and keep in mind this is for family members of McKendree Students.
• Want to learn more from first-generation students across the United States? Visit www.firstinthefamily.org to view videos of students sharing their experiences.
• STUDENT STRESS? www.campuscalm.com
Scholarships for 2012
Congratulations to the 2012 First-Generation Student Success Scholarship Recipients
Nykhala Coston - Lebanon Campus
Michelle Deatherage - Scott Air Force Base Campus
Martha Feldkamp - Louisville, KY Campus
Brandi Foster - AiM Program
Nathan Hunt - Lebanon Campus
Lora Kern - Lebanon Campus
Kayla McClain - Lebanon Campus
Cassandra Ochoa - Lebanon Campus
Deante Siller - Lebanon Campus
We will not be offering scholarships for the 2012-2013 Academic Year
First-Generation Faculty & Staff
Many faculty and staff were first-generation students themselves! They would love to chat with you and help you with questions or challenges you might face.
Deborah Larson - Assistant Dean & Registrar
Dr. Brenda Boudreau - English
Dr. Linda Hoffman - Psychology
Scott Colby - Physical Education
Belinda Kern - Nursing
Dr. Darrell Hardt - Assistant Professor and Executive Director of Kentucky Campuses. Director of EdS/EdD Programs
Dr. Darryn Diuguid - Education
Michelle Magnussen - Theatre
Dr. Brenda Doll - Education
Dr. Janet Wicker - Education
Dr. Lyn Huxford - Sociology
Dr. Richelle Rennegarbe - Nursing
Dr. Joseph Knickmeyer - Mathematics
Dr. Kian Pokorny - Computer Science
Dr. Shelly Lemons - History
Dr. Tami Eggleston - Psychology
Dr. Alan Alewine - Mathematics
McKendree University's First-Generation Student Success program was funded in part by a grant from The Council of Independent Colleges and the Walmart Foundation. The CIC/Walmart College Success Award was granted to the university in April, 2010 and completed in 2012.