History

Founded in 1897, Phi Kappa Phi is the nation’s oldest, largest, and most selective all-discipline honor society. Each year, approximately 34,000 students, faculty, professional staff and alumni are initiated into the society from college and university campuses throughout the U.S., Puerto Rico and Philippines. Phi Kappa Phi’s motto, “Let the Love of Learning Rule Humanity,” exemplifies the society and complements the tradition of McKendree as “a Pioneer of Learning.” 

Individual membership is by invitation and requires nomination and approval by a college or university chapter. Only the top 10 percent of seniors and 7.5 percent of juniors, having at least 72 semester hours, are eligible. Graduate students in the top 10 percent of the number of candidates for graduate degrees may also qualify, as do faculty, professional staff, board members and alumni who have achieved scholarly distinction. 

McKendree University founded its 292 Chapter of Phi Kappa Phi in 2004. The following individuals from the McKendree community were the charter members:


Dr. Alan Alewine

Mr. William Barttelbort

Ms. Rosalie Braeutigam

David Lee Chichester

Dr. James Dennis

Dr. Gerald Duff

Dr. Tami Eggleston

Dr. William Haskins

Mr. Thomas Hopkins

Dr. Martha McDonald

Dr. Gary O'Connor

Dr. Kian Pokorny   

Dr. Richelle Rennegarbe    

Dr. Raymond Robb   

Carol Smalley          

Dr. Roger Smalley   

Ms. Jane Weingartner