Below are some tips to make your interview more successful:
• Research the company and your position
• Maintain eye contact
• Be both professional and conservative in your appearance
• Show interest by asking appropriate questions
• Arrive approximately ten minutes early at the site
• Repeat and use the interviewer's name
• Organize your materials in a leather folder or briefcase
• Control nervous mannerisms
• Firmly shake the interviewer's hand
• Promptly send a typed thank-you letter after the interview
There are many questions an interviewer can ask. Below is a sampling of some of the most popular interview questions. We also have various handouts in the Career Services office on this subject.
1. Tell me a little about yourself.
2. What do you consider to be your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
3. Where do you see yourself in five years?
4. How do you think a friend or professor who knows you well would describe you?
5. Why did you choose the career for which you are preparing?
6. How has your college experience prepared you for a business career?
7. How do you plan to achieve your career goals?
8. Tell me about a time when you were unable to meet a deadline.
9. As a college student, how would you describe yourself?
10. Tell me about activities or situations where you have been a leader.
11. What two or three accomplishments have given you the most satisfaction?
12. How do you handle interpersonal conflicts?
13. What are your long-term career objectives?
14. Why are you interested in this position?
15. What concerns do you have about this position?
16. If there were something you could change about yourself, what would it be? Why?
17. What motivates you to put forth your greatest effort?
18. How do you determine or evaluate success?
19. How do you work under pressure?
20. What do you know about our company?
21. Why should we hire you?
The interviewee should also ask the interviewer some questions at the end of the interview.
This is done to express interest and show that you have done research to become better
informed about their company. It is best to have four to six prepared questions because
the interviewer could give information during the course of the interview that answers
a question for the candidate.
Candidates should only ask questions about areas that were not addressed on the company website or in company literature. However, follow-up questions used to acquire additional information about an area are acceptable. Please keep in mind that candidates should not inquire about compensation on the first interview. Below is a sampling of questions that the candidate could ask the interviewer.
1. What are the key responsibilities of this position?
2. What improvements would you like to see in the areas of this position?
3. How is the current department organized?
4. What are the major challenges and objectives currently faced by the department?
5. What are the major opportunities for the department to improve its overall contribution to the organization?
6. With what other key individuals does this position interface?
7. What are the prospects for future expansion and growth of the company?
8. What has accounted for fluctuations in sales (or profits) over the last five years?
9. What are the quantitative dimensions of this position, such as the number of persons managed, budgets, sales volume, and cost of goods manufactured?
10. What improvement would you like to see in the areas of this position?
11. Is there a formal evaluation system?
12. What is the basis for measuring employee performance?
13. How frequently are performance evaluations done?
14. Are there formal training programs available? How do these work?
15. Does the company support additional formal education? How is this done?
16. What else can you tell me about opportunities for promotion and advancement?
17. Assuming good performance, how long might I expect to be in this position?
18. What training and development are provided to the employee to help prepare for future promotion and advancement?
19. Is there a retirement plan? How does it work?