Second Annual McKendree Bearcats Golf Tournament Boasts Sellout, Raises Record Funds for Athletic Department
(LEBANON, Ill., July 1) — The second annual McKendree University Bearcats Golf Tournament
was held under sunny skies on Friday, June 21 at St. Clair Country Club in Belleville.
The event serves as the largest fund-raiser of the year for the McKendree athletics department. A full field of 144 golfers teed off just after 9 a.m. in the shotgun start at St. Clair. According to Kimberly Mayden, associate vice president of development, alumni and parent relations, last week’s tournament proved to be just as successful as the inaugural event in 2012.
“It was a great day for McKendree University on many levels,” said Mayden. “Our tournament sold out early once again, and all the golfers enjoyed a great day of golf on a wonderful course. This day would not be possible without our generous sponsors and many volunteers who helped make this a great day for the McKendree University athletic department.”
Four teams took home the top honors in the second annual McKendree University Bearcats Golf Tournament. There were also five winners of special contests at various holes on the course.
Winning teams were:
- Low gross, first place, Dean Oelze, Brandon Wade, Scott Cragen and Eric Stiegman from Hawk Development
- Low gross, second place, Phil Schildknecht, Sr., Mark Zimmerman, Phil Schildknecht, Jr., and Tyler Huelskamp from State Construction
- Low net, first place, Gary Cornwell, Rupert Foreman, Carmen Durso and Justin Robinson from Bail-Co. Properties
- Low net, second place, Barb Carstens, Jack Carstens, Lori Zeiter and Dave Zeiter from Bank of O’Fallon
Winners of the special contests were:
- Closest to the pin for men (Hole #9) – Kevin Poettker
- Closest to the pin for women (Hole #13) – Susanne Reed
- Closest to the pin for men (Hole #13) – Joe Milton
- Longest drive for women (Hole #11) – Melissa Yoder
- Longest drive for men (Hole #4) – Kyle Miller
McKendree student-athletes and their coaches were on hand at several tees to meet and greet golfers and thank them for their participation. The event concluded with an awards banquet and silent auction.
Tournament sponsors include: UMB Bank, Hawk Development, Vandalia Bus Lines, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Premier Rentals, Wm. Nobbe and Co., The Bank of Edwardsville, Curt Smith Sporting Goods, Kathi and Garry Henson, Holmes Murphy, Mathis Marifian and Richter, Baer Heating and Cooling, Phillips Co., ClifttonLarsonAllen, Da-Com, Bank of O’Fallon, Holland Construction, Coventry Health Care, World Wide Technology, Memorial Medical Group, Dr. Rodney J. Herrin, Gateway Financial Resources, Bail-Co. Properties, Phone Masters, Auffenberg Dealer Group of Illinois, Dairy Queen, First Federal Savings Bank, The Hills Golf Club at McKendree University.
In-Kind Sponsors include: Stolze Printing, Pepsi, Sodexo, Grey Eagle Distributors, Home City Ice, Republic Services Recycling.