To prepare students for a world that is becoming more economically interdependent and culturally diverse, the study of foreign languages allows students to communicate with people from other cultures in professional and personal settings. Students gain an understanding and appreciation of cultures other than their own. Today, more than ever, Spanish is on demand on the job market as the hispanic population increases consistently.
We believe that along linguistic abilities, successful communication is achieved through
the understanding of the foreign culture. The Spanish curriculum does not focus heavily
on literature like most traditional Spanish programs at other institutions. We aim
at providing you with the practical skills to communicate in the foreign language
while teaching significant components of culture to help you gain a better understanding
of your interlocutors' background. In addition, it has been proven that students studying
a foreign language are better test takers and gain a better overall language awareness
and an understanding of English grammar
Want to be successful in the educational and professional career? Study Spanish at McKendree!
McKendree offers Chinese and French regularly! So keep an eye open for those courses!
Bachelor of Arts in Spanish
Spanish courses are geared towards the practical usage of the language and a better understanding of the Spanish-speaking culture. This curriculum will provide you with the linguistic skills and cultural sensibility to communicate effectively with the Spanish-speaking population. You're urged to start Spanish in the your first semester to complete your degree on time. You must complete at least 30 Spanish credit hours.
A minor in Spanish is also offered as well as a language teaching endorsement to teach middle school.
• A Spanish curriculum that keeps in mind students' practical and professional needs in the language.
• Study Abroad programs in many Spanish-speaking countries (Spain, Argentina, Costa Rica, Chile, etc).
• Spanish Club (Like us on Facebook!)
• The best national Spanish Placement Test to insure that students are placed in the right Spanish course and are en route to succeed in their studies.
• Highly Interactive courses through technology: students are exposed to and interact with Spanish speakers from different countries.
Foreign languages majors are quick to find employment in the following career paths:
• Translation and interpretation
• United Nations
• Volunteer organizations
• International business
Meet the Faculty
Aurélie C. Capron, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Spanish
Carnegie Hall 305